Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Frilly and Funkie - William Morris Style

Happy Wednesday!  Today on Frilly and Funkie it's the funkie side of the DT posting their projects for the challenge hosted by Jenny.  This challenge is inspired by the Arts and Crafts movement, and in particular William Morris.  Jenny wants to see muted colors, natural elements and the design must include an animal of some sort.

For this challenge I created a tag using one of my favorite images, a peacock.  I can't think of anything more beautiful than a peacock!  Their beautiful plumage with those striking colors has always fascinated me.


I started with a #10 manila tag and stamped the lace border from the Tim Holtz Stamper's Anonymous Floral Tattoo stamp set using Ranger archival ink in Coffee.  I stamped the border along the top and bottom of the tag.  I also stamped it twice on a scrap piece of paper and cut both images out to create masks.  The lace border sections on the tag were masked and then I stamped the wallpaper image from the Tim Holtz Stamper's Anonymous Wallpaper and Wood stamp set also with Coffee archival ink.  The wallpaper stamp isn't quite long enough to cover the tag so I reinked the end and matched up the image to completely cover the space between the lace borders.

I left the masks over the lace borders and added masks along the side edges of the tag.  Using the ink blender I colored the wallpaper image with Distress ink in Peacock Feathers and Bundled Sage.  Then I removed the masks and inked the side edges and the lace borders with Distress ink in Wild Honey.  I followed that up with a little bit of Distress ink in Vintage Photo.

I stamped the peacock on a piece of manila cardstock using Coffee archival ink.  I colored in the image using Distress Markers and then cut it out and attached it to the tag with matte Glue N Seal.  The saying is from one of Tim's new stamp sets, Simple Sayings.  It is also stamped on manila cardstock with Coffee archival ink and was attached to the tag using mini brads.

The final touch is the rayon seam binding that was stained using the same colors used in the tag: bundled sage, peacock feathers and wild honey.

I hope you like my project and I thank you for stopping by to see it! I hope you'll take the time to view the projects of the other Frilly and Funkie design team members!  And we'd love it if you create a William Morris style project of your own and play along with our challenge!

The following items that I used on my project can be found at The Funkie Junkie Boutique! The boutique offers it's merchandise at up to a 20% discount from the typical retail price! That's a great deal and you should check it out!!


4 comments:

  1. Love how you've created this (great idea to use the lace at the top and bottom) and the peacock is magnificent. Such a great tag Donna. Hugs, Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm working on a peacock project at the moment as well...lol! I love this! It's perfect for your DT challenge....perfect! Where did you get this image? Love it! Gorgeous use of the background...love the double coloration on it all watercolor looking! Just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anita! Thanks for your sweet comment! The peacock image that I used is an Inkadinkado cling stamp. I'm pretty sure that I picked it up at Michael's. It's not part of a set and it's mounted on the bright green cling foam they're using now.

      Delete
  3. Really beautiful. I love the masking technique. This is a really clever tag that is perfect for this challenge! Well done! Lots of love from Laura xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete